Sunday, March 27, 2011

Tripping Over Joy: You and Your 1000 Serious Moves

Tripping over Joy
by Hafez (Sufi poet, circa 1350)

What is the difference
Between your experience of Existence
And that of a saint?

The saint knows
That the spiritual path
Is a sublime chess game with God

And that the Beloved
Has just made such a Fantastic Move

That the saint is now continually
Tripping over Joy
And bursting out in Laughter
And saying, “I Surrender!”

Whereas, my dear,
I’m afraid you still think

You have a thousand serious moves.

I am indebted, for this poem, to Brother Joe Kilikevice, of the Shem Center in Chicago, and the two dozen-plus men I spent this past weekend with on a Male Spirit Retreat.

1 comment:

  1. Love the poem (prayer) Mark. I get so sidetracked by all of my serious moves. I don't think getting to be a saint is an easy thing in our present world. Maybe the desire to be more like one is all we can do. Fondly, John

    ReplyDelete