Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Graciousness of Nature, Not Doing it Right, Bad Jokes, the Mechanism of Happiness

I took this picture early this morning, around 7 a.m. hoping to capture what felt exhilirating at the time---the biting cold air, the neighborhood still hushed, the big pine and the early morning moon against that perfect blue sky. A sense of yet another chance to do it right. Nature is gracious.  I regret slightly the streetlamp, which seems to outshine the moon. But it has its place--the mechanized, motorized, electrified world is gunning its engines. I have always liked that--coffee, the fresh start, the modern world coming back to life.

But we manage---do we not?-- never really to do it right. I contrived, despite the promising start, a day of self-doubt and resentment and self-harassment and morbid introspection.
.
Then, this evening Garrison Keillor came on the radio. It was the semi-annual "joke" show. I have always liked jokes. Corny jokes, old jokes, tired puns, slightly dirty jokes, bad jokes. I laugh at them out loud.

 Q: How do the Amish hunt deer when they can't use guns?
A. They stalk the deer down, then build a barn over it.

Q: How do you keep a blonde at home?
A: Build a circular driveway.

I laughed out loud and immediately the day was rescued. Endorphins, etc etc etc. People are basic, and happiness is mechanistic. Excercise, laugh, don't spend too much time alone.

3 comments:

  1. harry used to tell me "anything worth doing is worth doing badly". turns out he was pointing to perfectionism as one of my character defects.

    keillor's show turned me away from a bad moment, too...

    ReplyDelete