Friday, January 7, 2011

The Regular Thing

Walking with my dog, Kristina, in the Cleveland Metroparks every morning is the most regular thing I do. I have seen the park now for several years in its transitions from spring to summer to fall and winter. The more  you pay attention, the more you see so that you can sometimes sense the world tilting by degrees well before there are obvious seasonal changes in foliage. In the spring the forest floor is carpeted with green sprouts.Fall, of course, is the best here in northeast Ohio.

After ten years in the Cleveland area, I have learned to love the winter (well, a little bit, sometimes). I love the look of the park when there is snow and the river ices over. I like especially the way the snow seems to paint itself on the trees. And the view from the park beneath the Hilliard Street Bridge is always scenic, in any season.


I find myself wishing often I knew how to paint. No chance there. But it's this--the desire to learn how to  do something expressive beyond the range of words and ideas--that accounts for the piano lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment